Wednesday, December 19, 2007
If you use QuickBooks 2006 or 2007 for the Mac–don’t launch it. An apparent bug in the software update code causes the accounting software to throw a vague “you don’t have enough memory” dialog after attempting to download a 100k update while it simultaneously deletes your desktop folder.
Read ZDNet Article here.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
離島 (Leaving the Island)
詞:黃明志 lyrics:Huang Ming Zhi
曲:張捷惟 Song: Zhang Jie Wei
Sitting on the foreign bed, the luggage sitting in the corner
The neon lights outside the window shining brighter the the moon light
Coming from the sea, from the other side of the map(world)
Carrying my dreams, and also bearing the longings that I can’t leave behind
風 啊 風 把我帶到這地方
wind, oh wind, who brought me to this place
blue colored memories still left in my home on the sea.
輕輕躺在這城市的中央 寧靜的夜晚 眼角淚未乾
gently lying in the city’s central, in the still of the night, my eyes still wet with tears
falling onto the moonlit window ledge.
喔喔 風 啊 風 吹送著我的牽掛
oh oh, wind, oh wind, blowing away my longings
accompanying the directions of the sea waves into your arms
走啊走前往夢想的路上 每次感覺孤單 看著月兒彎
moving towards the dreams, whenever I’m feeling lonely, I look towards the crescent moon
彷彿笑著說 “你要勇敢 別害怕”
who seems like smiling and saying, “you must be brave, don’t be afraid”
worried that the moon might be lonely, the stars watched over it by it’s side
Silently, accompanying me, dreaming a dream of my hometown.
Here's a list of some of Karen Kong's songs:
Friday, December 07, 2007
Friday, November 16, 2007
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians (legend has it), that was passed on from generation to generation, says that, “When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.”
However, in many organizations, more advanced strategies are often employed, such as:
- Buying a stronger whip.
- Changing riders.
- Giving horse and rider a good bollocking.
- Re-structuring the dead horse’s reward scale to contain a performance-related element.
- Making the horse work late shifts and weekends.
- Suspending the horse’s access to the executive grassy meadow until performance targets are met.
- Scrutinising and clawing back a percentage of the horse’s past 12 months expenses payments.
- Appointing a committee to study the horse.
- Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride horses.
- Convening a dead horse productivity improvement workshop.
- Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
- Reclassifying the dead horse as living-impaired.
- Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
- Outsourcing the management of the dead horse.
- Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
- Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse’s performance.
- Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse’s performance.
- Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.
- Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.
Finally, there is the highly effective…
- Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil,without saying a word.
In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see."
"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.
Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.
The daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"
Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water. Each reacted differently.
The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.
The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.
The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.
"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?"
Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?
Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?
Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, It releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.
When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; They just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.
May we all be a COFFEE!
Friday, July 27, 2007
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
- Smart Man + Smart Woman = Romance
- Smart Man + Dumb Woman = Affair
- Dumb Man + smart Woman = Marriage
- Dumb Man + Dumb Woman = Pregnancy
- Smart Boss + Smart Employee = Profit
- Smart Boss + Dumb Employee = Production
- Dumb Boss + Smart Employee = Promotion
- Dumb Boss + Dumb Employee = Overtime
- A Man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.
- A Woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need.
General Equations & Statistics
- A Woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.
- A Man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.
- A successful Man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.
- A successful Woman is one who can find such a Man.
- To be happy with a Man, you must understand him a lot and love him a little.
- To be happy with a Woman, you must love her a lot and not try to understand her
- Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are a lot more willing
PROPENSITY TO CHANGE
- A Woman marries a Man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.
- A Man marries a Woman expecting that she won't change, and she does.
- A Woman has the last word in any argument.
- Anything a Man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.
HOW TO STOP PEOPLE FROM BUGGING YOU ABOUT GETTING MARRIED
- Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling,
telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to
them at funerals.
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
- Depression - According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
- PMS - Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
- Anemia - High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- Blood Pressure - This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
- Brain Power - 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.
- Constipation - High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.
- Hangovers - One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
- Heartburn - Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- Morning Sickness - Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
- Mosquito bites - Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.
- Nerves - Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.
- Overweight and at work - Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
- Ulcers - The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
- Temperature control - Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.
- Smoking &Tobacco Use - Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
- Stress - Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
- Strokes - According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!
- Warts - Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
- At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.
- Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice.
- Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, Ask If They Want Fries with that.
- Put Your Garbage Can On Your Desk And Label It "In."
- Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks. Once Everyone Has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch To Espresso.
- In The Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write "For Sexual Favors."
- Finish All Your sentences with "In Accordance With The Prophecy."
- Don't use any punctuation
- As Often As Possible, Skip Rather Than Walk.
- Ask People What Sex They Are. Laugh Hysterically After They Answer.
- Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is "To Go."
- Sing Along At The Opera.
- Go To A Poetry Recital And Ask Why The Poems Don't Rhyme.
- Put Mosquito Netting Around Your Work Area And Make Tropical Sounds All Day.
- Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You're Not In The Mood.
- Have Your Co-workers Address You By Your Wrestling name, Rock Hard.
- When The Money Comes Out Of The ATM, Scream "I Won!, I Won!"
- When Leaving The Zoo, Start Running Towards The Lot, Yelling "Run For Your Lives, They're Loose!!"
- Tell Your Children Over Dinner, "Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go."
- Tell Your Friends About This Post To Make Them Smile...It's Called Therapy...
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Very quietly, the doctor said, "I don't know."
"You don't know? You, a Christian man, do not know what is on the other side?"
The doctor was holding the handle of the door; on the other side came a sound of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.
Turning to the patient, the doctor said, "Did you notice my dog? He's never been in this room before. He didn't know what was inside."
The knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door opened, he sprang in without fear.
"I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing... I know my Master is there and that is enough."